Thursday, March 11, 2010

Why I *Heart* Marvel

Best. News. Ever.

This is why I love Marvel.

I grew up with the "West Coast Avengers" (affectionately referred to as the Wackos) led by Clint and Bobbi Barton (affectionately referred to as Hawkeye and Mockingbird). The title was renamed "Avengers: West Coast" to tie it into the whole Avengers franchise in the 1990s and it eventually ended with the death of Mockingbird. By then I had lost all interest.

Then came Brian Bendis' "Secret Invasion". Mockingbird was back and better than ever. Marvel celebrated the reunion of the sexiest Marvel couple with a miniseries called "New Avengers: The Reunion" by Jim McCann and David Lopez. It was a blast to read and I picked up the hardcover collection as soon as it hit the stores. McCann wrote them as the Marvel version of "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and David Lopez, fresh off DC's Catwoman, drew them with a madman's glee. Reading through it, I kept wishing that it would lead into an ongoing monthly.

Finally, my wish has come true. Marvel is publishing a monthly Hawkeye/Mockingbird book by the same creative team of Jim McCann and David Lopez. This will be even better than the mini because Clint Barton is finally back as Hawkeye rather than in the ridiculous Ronin identity. You can bet that I'll be picking up every monthly issue + the hardcover collections! :)

[Read an interview with Jim McCann at Newsarama.]