Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Highlights From The Latest Marvel Solicitations (Oct 2010)

It's the convention season again so Marvel has decided to delay the release of their latest solicitation previews until the big announcements in the convention. Anyway, the latest solicitations are finally up and you can check them out at CBR.

Some of the items that caught my eye are:

  • Uncanny X-Force #1 by Rick Remender (Punisher) and Jerome Opena (Moon Knight). Wolverine is leading the X-Force to kill Apocalypse. This is a no-brainer and I'm definitely jumping on board!
  • Ultimate Thor #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Carlos Pacheco. Hickman is fast becoming my favourite Marvel writer with his excellent stuff on Fantastic Four and S.H.I.E.L.D. Carlos Pacheco is among my favourite artists ever - check out "Avengers Forever" if you still need to be convinced. But it's Ultimate Thor. I don't know. Thor was my favourite character when I was a kid. Now? Not so much. Maybe the upcoming movie will reignite my love for the Asgardian? Hmmm....
  • Chaos War #1 & 2 by Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente featuring the return of Hercules. I'm so there already! Thor guest-stars.
  • Captain America Lives Omnibus - I'm glad I stayed off the "The Man With No Face", "Road To Reborn" and "Reborn" trades. Marvel is reprinting the whole thing in an omnibus edition. This is a must-have for anyone who had already purchased the first two omnibuses.
  • Atlantis Attacks Omnibus - I'm glad to see this huge storyarc finally in an omnibus. It was one of the biggest stories when I was a kid. I read an issue here and an issue there. That's the tragedy of growing up in a town without a comic-retailer. I had to pick up my stuff off the newstand. Anyway, I don't remember much about the story - only that it featured Namor and the Atlanteans flooding the whole Marvel Universe.
  • Doomwar Hardcover - The Black Panther/Doom crossover (more accurately Wakanda/Latveria crossover) gets the oversized hardcover treatment. I haven't been following Black Panther for some time so I'm not so sure about this.
  • Captain America: Sentinel of Liberty Hardcover - I'll get this one over the Reborn hardcover above. I have a softspot for Mark Waid's Cap and it's good to see his WWII/Invaders stuff from the 1990s finally given the oversized hardcover treatment.
  • X-Force: A Force To Be Reckoned With - I've always wondered why the Liefeld X-Force issues have never been reprinted in a hardcover collection. Love him or hate him, no one can deny the impact that Liefeld made in the early 1990s with X-Force. Pick this one up with the Cable hardcover and relive the era of shoulder-pads, ginormous guns and constipated facial expressions.
  • Thor: Worldengine - This is the 4-issue arc from the mid-1990s by Warren Ellis and Mike Deodato. I read a review recently saying that Deodato sucked in the 1990s and that he's really good now. I don't know what the reviewer was smoking when he wrote that. Deodato was fantastic in the 1990s. Check out his work with William Messner-Loebs on "Wonder Woman" and "Thor". Time was, Deodato's art was clear and powerful. Time now, he hides behind large shades of inking. Pick this one up for the classic Deodato artwork.