Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy New Year, 'Poolheads!

This is my first post for the year 2011. Lots happened the past two weeks. First, my sis and her hubby came back after their missionary trip to Indonesia. Then, I twisted my ankle and spend New Year's Day bed-ridden. Also, I got a new job that lasted exactly 2 hours. Furthermore, my kids started school, my wife went back to college and I just received my examinations timetable for May 2011 - after paying up (finally) my exam fees for the year.

And I started reading Deadpool.

Now I can't stop reading anything that features Deadpool.

It started with the first three issues of DeadpoolMAX by David Lapham and Kyle Baker. Completely blew me away. First issue was about Deadpool and Hydra Bob invading Hammerhead's fortress. Second issue was a sequel to Ken Kesey's "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" (and featured Inez). Third issue was about anti-Semitism and featured everyone from Martin Luther to Adolf Hitler to Lee Harvey Oswald and the crazy loonie from "Fiddler On The Roof" (actually, Deadpool in disguise - but you already knew that if you'd read the damn book!).

That led to Victor Gischler's hugely entertaining "Deadpool Corps" (with the legendary Rob Liefeld on art). I picked up the two available hardcovers and enjoyed the zany adventures of Deadpool, Lady Deadpool, Kidpool, Dogpool and Headpool. Loved the appearances by the Gardener, the Champion and Dog-Wolverine. Especially good to see Liefeld on a monthly book again.

Yesterday, I picked up the huge bonanza issue that was "Deadpool #900". It was a collection of great Deadpool short stories. Especially like the Joe Kelly/Rob Liefeld piece. Also reprinted was an old issue of Deadpool featuring the Beyonder and Widdle Wade. The tale was set in Japan and featured Sumo wrestlers. Oh yes, Elvis also made an appearance in this one.

All the above wasn't enough to satiate my insatiable appetite for anything featuring the 'Pool so I re-read "Amazing Spider-Man #611". Joe Kelly wrote this and Eric Canette drew it. It's only the MOST IMPORTANT COMIC of the year 2079 (sorry Dazzler #500) BUT... I didn't like it when I read it for the first time months ago. Now that I am a convert to everything Deadpool, it's possibly the best Deadpool comic ever published. In addition to the fantastic appearance by Deadpool in a Spidey comic and the threat of Yo-Ma-Ma-Geddon, we also get an extra-sized special bonus appearance of the most innovative and memorable character ever since Siegel and Shuster created Superman. I'm talking about LADY STILT-MAN! Go read it, kids...

There it is - the story of my conversion into a full-fledged follower of the Merc With A Mouth, Wade Wilson aka Deadpool. With that, I christen 2011, the Year of the Pool. I will be reviewing Deadpool comics for a year here beginning with this post so don't say that you haven't been forewarned... :)