Sunday, March 20, 2011

Worlds of Wonder


Here's the first pic of Wonder Woman from the upcoming TV series. The costume is a mixture of classic elements and the designs by Jim Lee for the present JMS run on the title. My daughter loves it but my wife hates it. Actually my wife dislikes the actress, Adrianne Palicki, as well, not just the costume designs! :)

In other news, Marvel just announced the creative teams for the new monthly Daredevil, Punisher and Ghost Rider series. Mark Waid will mark his return to monthly writing for Marvel with Daredevil and Greg Rucka, who's been missing since the end of his run on "Batwoman" will be writing the monthly Punisher. Rob Williams will also be writing the new Ghost Rider monthly series. I'm very happy with the choices and am really looking forward to both monthlies later this year. It's about time that these three street-level Marvel icons get the creative teams that they deserve.

Finally, I just finished watching "Beast Stalker" - the film that made Dante Lam a household name and allowed Nick Cheung and Liu Kai Chi to nab the "Best Actor" and "Best Supporting Actor" awards respectively in the 28th HK Film Awards. The film was banned here in Malaysia so I didn't get to see it when it was first released. I became a huge Dante Lam fan after "Fire of Conscience" and "Stool Pigeon" so it's great to finally see where it all began. In fact, the three films should be watched back-to-back as a kind of Dante Lam trilogy. Beast Stalker contains all the elements that we love Dante Lam for: crazy gunfights and car chases, gritty gangsters, ultra shocking violence, cops seeking redemption, Liu Kai Chi, the darkness in the heart of man, and an extra bonus in the form of Zhang Jingchu (who spoke really bad Cantonese but who cares?). I told my wife that the DVD was for my research in my Evidence studies. It's really just a very cool HK movies featuring cops, kidnappers, gangsters, and Liu Kai Chi. Anyway, did I mention that Liu Kai Chi is in it? For my money, nobody plays the lowlife cop/gangster/informer better than Liu Kai Chi. The ending feels like the recent "Cable" series featuring Nathan Summers protecting the girl Hope from Bishop - except we get Nic Tse protecting a small girl from Nick Cheung.